Friday 17 February 2017

10 Picture Book Tattoos - Literary Tattoos Series

This is the start of a new series I'm doing on literary tattoos. It's something a bit different to break up the book reviews and writing ramblings.

I've been vaguely wondering about getting another tattoo, but not sure what. Being a reader, I was thinking of getting a literary tattoo and had a scout around the internet for some inspiration, queue getting lost for several hours down a Pinterest hole. There are so many book related tattoos, some awful and some amazing. I thought I'd share a few that I've found in some round up posts.

The first post features tattoos inspired by children's picture books. Picture books are the very first books you discover and they have a lasting effect, so it's no surprise that there are a lot of meaningful picture book tattoos.



Here are a few of my favourites. I've tried to find the source for the photos and linked them below the images.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

I'll start off with a classic, a picture book that I think everyone has read or recognises, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I like this small, colourful tattoo, it's impossible not to smile when you look at it.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source

Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins

Does anyone else remember Rosie's Walk? Where Rosie the chicken eludes the following fox. I love these illustrations and think it's great that someone has got the fox tattooed on their arm (not sure about the llama with Lori written in it beneath the fox though).

Rosie's Walk Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source

Each Peach Pear Plum by Allan and Janet Ahlberg

I love this tattoo as it's not immediately obvious it's a picture book tattoo, but then you realise it's a peach, pear and plum and that it's a grown up tattoo with a subtle reference to a favourite children's book.

Each Peach Pear Plum Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source


The Mousehole Cat by Antonia Barber and Nicola Bayley

I found this tattoo when I was researching for my last post on The Mousehole Cat. While I wouldn't be brave enough to get this tattoo myself I think the colours and style of this tattoo are beautiful.

The Mousehole Cat Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

There are a lot of Where the Wild Things Are tattoos on the internet, I may have to do a separate post. I chose this one over one of the Wild Things themselves as I love the moon and sea and Max's happy face.

Where the Wild Things Are Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source

Elmer by David McKee

Lovely, colourful Elmer. This tattoo just makes me smile.

Elmer Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source

Paddington by Michael Bond and R. W. Alley

The detail on this Paddington tattoo is impressive. Although this photo kind of looks like Paddington is shocked at being so near to this lady's breasts.

Paddington Bear Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

The Wind in the Willows is a favourite for all ages, so it's no surprise that people are getting inked with illustrations fro the classic book. This tattoo of rat and mole on the river just makes me feel relaxed.

The Wind in the Willows Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source


The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

Another one that needs it's own post, Dr Seuss tattoos are incredibly popular. It would be so easy to go over the top with Seuss's zany illustrations, but I really like this subtle tattoo reference to The Cat in the Hat.

The Cat in the Hat Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source

The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler


Everyone loves The Gruffalo and this tattoo is cheery and something a bit different.

The Gruffalo Tattoo - 10 Picture Book Tattoos
Source

I hope this post has given you some tattoo inspiration. I've got some more ideas while researching it, though I don't think I'm brave enough to get anything as detailed as some of these. I already have a simple outline tattoo and I almost fainted after I had that done!

Let me know what you think of these tattoos. I'll put together another Literary Tattoo post soon.


Follow Me On Bloglovin


No comments:

Post a Comment