Tuesday 28 February 2017

February 2017: Favourite Books


February 2017 Favourite Books


I've read quite a lot this month and I've had a few books that I enjoyed, but I wouldn't say they were favourites (follow me on Goodreads to keep up with what I'm reading). These four books are the ones that really stood out for me. For once they're not all crime fiction, I'm branching out!




The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel

The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel

The beautiful but seemingly cursed Roanoke girls all either run or die. Lane Roanoke managed to escape her family home in Kansas, but then her cousin Allegra goes missing and she has to return to Roanoke and her past. The Roanoke Girls is a disturbing reading, but it's also brilliantly written and a slow burning but enthralling mystery. Read my full review for more details.


To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey

To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey

This is an amazing book! I haven't reviewed To the Bright Edge of the World yet but it is high up on my list as I just want to shout from the rooftops about how great it is. It's written by the same author as the Snow Child, which I also loved, but I think I may like this one more. It tells the story of Colonel Allen Forrester's mission to navigate the previously impassible Wolverine River in Alaska. At the same time his wife Sophie writes of her pregnancy and discovery of photography. It's told through diary entries which, in present time, are being compiled into a museum exhibit.
I can't go into all the reasons you should read this book now, I promise I will review it soon, but trust me it's brilliant, buy/borrow/steal it now!


The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

My last post was a review of this book so it's pretty fresh in my mind. Again, read the review for more details but, in short, The Essex Serpent does live up to the hype. The story follows widow Cora Seaborne as she travels to Essex and learns of the sightings of a mythical 'serpent' that's taken hold of a small Essex parish. The book is at the same time historical yet refreshingly modern, with fantastic, multi-level characters. And of course the cover is just beautiful.


H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Collection

H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Collection with accompanying Facts by H.P. Lovecraft

Technically I shouldn't include this book as I haven't finished it yet, in fact I'm only a third of the way through, and I usually only include books that I've finished in my monthly favourites. However, I've been reading lots of H. P. Lovecraft: The Complete Collection this month and I'm loving it. Plus, it's ridiculously long so I'll probably be reading it for a good few more months.
I'd never read any H.P. Lovecraft before so I downloaded this kindle book, which is only 99p and includes all of his works, along with some information after each story/novella. I wanted to read some more horror of the old-fashioned kind.
At fist I thought Lovecraft was not ghosty enough for me and was a bit too tentacled, but reading on I'm loving the mix of Gothic and science-fiction.
I find it strangely relaxing to read these stories just before I go to bed. I've had some pretty weird dreams recently so this is probably why!

Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments.


Follow Me On Bloglovin'



No comments:

Post a Comment