Tuesday 14 March 2017

Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

Book Review


Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney


"People think that good and bad are opposites but they're wrong, they're just a mirror image of one another in broken glass."

Sometimes I Lie will be released on 23rd March. It is written by Alice Feeney and published by Harper Collins.

I wanted to read Sometimes I Lie both because of the blurb, which has drawn everyone in, and because it has had rave reviews. Sometimes these majorly hyped thrillers fall flat, but I did enjoy this one and it felt fresh and a bit different to the usual Gone Girl wannabes.

Blurb

My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:

1. I'm in a coma.
2. My husband doesn't love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

Unnerving, twisted and utterly compelling, you won't be able to put this new thriller down. Set to be the most talked about book in 2017, it's perfect for fans of Behind Closed Doors, The Girl on the Train and The Widow.

So, right from the start I knew I couldn't trust Amber and as I continued to read it was obvious that none of the characters were entirely trustworthy. Throw in a whole bunch of plot twists and Sometimes I Lie makes for a gripping read.
I did, however, guess one of the biggest plot twists, but it didn't ruin it for me. This is a book that keeps delivering shocks, even in the last few pages.

Although there are a lot of twists, they're not just thrown in randomly; Sometimes I Lie reveals secrets at just the right times. It's a well plotted book and I also love the story telling technique of switching from Amber in a coma to diary older entries.
There is also substance to this story, it looks at lots of different relationships, between work colleagues, lovers, sisters and friends. It's not just a shock value read.

There's some lovely writing too, particularly Feeney's descriptions of time experienced by Amber in the coma.

"People talk about time passing but here, in this room, time doesn't pass at all. It crawls and lingers and smears the walls of your mind with muck-stained memories, so you can't see what's in front or behind you."

I did have a couple of issues with Sometimes I Lie; some aspects I found a little unbelievable or a bit too convenient. And sometimes I didn't find Amber's actions particularly realistic either.

I didn't really like Amber, or any of the characters for that matter, but I don't think you're really supposed to. I didn't really feel an emotional link to any of the characters.

However, Sometimes I Lie is a fascinating debut novel from Alice Feeney and I'm looking forward to what she rights next.

My Rating: 3.5/5 (rounded up to 4 stars for Goodreads and Netgalley)


I received a digital copy of Sometimes I Lie via NetGalley in return for an honest review. My thanks to the author and publisher.

Follow Reading, Writing, Booking On Bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment