Friday 2 June 2017

May 2017: Favourite Books

May 2017 Favourite Books - Reading, Writing, Booking Blog

It's been a bit of a disappointing month for reading, I've worked my way through a lot of mediocre thrillers (follow me on Goodreads to see what I've been reading). There are only three books that really stood out in May, and none of them are new releases. I actually haven't done much reading on my Kindle this month and it's been nice to get back to real books. You just can't beat 'em.



Room by Emma Donoghue - Reading, Writing, Booking Blog

Room by Emma Donoghue

You can read my full review of Room here. I really liked this book, at first I didn't think I'd be able to cope with the five-year-old narrator for the entire story but persevere and it works. Jack lives with Ma in Room, which he believes is the only real place in existence, but in fact it's a cell where his Ma has been kidnapped and kept for the last seven years by Old Nick. It's an interesting read where innocent Jack narrates a truly terrifying story.


Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves - Reading, Writing, Booking Blog


Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves (Shetland #7)

I read the last of the Shetland series this month and I'm now feeling a little bereft. The series stayed consistently good through to this last book, which sees Jimmy Perez investigate the death of a mysterious woman, whose body was found in the ruins of a house wrecked after a landslide. With some thrillers I guess the murderer straight away, but I can never guess in Cleeves' books. She's so skillful at creating characters who are realistic, flawed yet compelling.


End of Watch by Stephen King - Reading, Writing, Booking Blog

End of Watch by Stephen King (Bill Hodges Trilogy #3)

I found the third and last book of the Bill Hodges trilogy the best in the series. It's been a change of direction for King, more of a mystery/thriller, and the first two didn't have any supernatural flavour, but it's as though King couldn't hold back any longer and End of Watch sees a return to King's spooky style. Things are tied up rather nicely in this book, finishing the story of Hodges and Brady, the Mercedes Killer, who has developed psychic skills. The first two books in this series I found a bit of a drag, so fast paced that they were actually an effort to read, but this one was well paced and a perfect mix of supernatural and thriller.

May 2017 Favourite Books - Reading, Writing, Booking Blog


Follow Me On Bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment