Thursday 7 September 2017

The Break by Marian Keyes

Book Review

The Break by Marian Keyes - Reading, Writing, Booking


"We were so tightly bonded and our sundering has been shocking and brutal. His departure was too sudden; the wrench was ragged and rough."

The Break is released in the UK today (7th September 2017). It is written by Marian Keyes and published by Penguin Michael Joseph.

Regular readers of Reading, Writing, Booking (all three of you) may be surprised to see me review an author who is so often classified as Chick-Lit (unfairly I think). Marian Keyes doesn't often write about mysterious murders, which are usually my thing, but I'm actually a big fan of Keyes' work and used to read her books a lot when I was younger.
My tastes have changed a bit over the years and I don't reach for them as much as I used to but I still get excited when there is a new Marian Keyes novel out.

The Break is her latest book, out today. After a slow start I found myself hooked to the story of two people and their 'break' from marriage. Keyes really understands the dynamics of couples and she writes in such an honest and often hilarious way.

Also, Marian Keyes herself is bloody amazing, she does these hilarious YouTube videos and has written and spoken really honestly about her struggles with depression.



BLURB

Amy's husband Hugh isn't really leaving her.

At least, that's what he promises. He is just taking a break - from their marriage, their children and, most of all, from their life together. For six-months Hugh will lose himself in south-east Asia, and there is nothing Amy can say or do about it.

Yes, it's a mid-life crisis, but let's be clear: a break isn't a break up - yet . . .

It's been a long time since Amy held a briefcase in one hand and a baby in the other. She never believed she'd have to go it alone again. She just has to hold the family together until Hugh comes back.

But a lot can happen in six-months. When Hugh returns, if he returns, will he be the same man she married? And will Amy be the same woman?

Because falling in love is easy. The hard part - the painful, joyous, maddening, beautiful part - is staying in love.


I have to admit, if this wasn't a Marian Keyes novel the blurb wouldn't have drawn me in; a bit too...I don't know how to say it without using the word Chick-Lit, light? I don't know, anyway, there's no mention of a murder or an alternate reality so I thought I may get a bit fed up with inner whinging about mid-life crisises and husbands.

To be honest, at first, I did find it a little difficult, there was a lot of inner rambling about cheating etc. However, after a slow start with, I felt, a few too many characters, the book really picked up and I couldn't put it down.

Keyes really explores the marriage of Amy and Hugh and slowly reveals the reason behind Hugh leaving. The flashbacks are timed well to reveal the run up to Hugh's leaving and the story thus far. Keyes is brilliant at getting into the really nitty-gritty of relationships but without getting too heavy. Yet, she tackles some dark subjects, especially the subject of abortion in Ireland and what women have to go through in order to get a safe procedure, which I didn't know. Her balance of serious and comedy makes it easy to read but also hits home.

Keyes' voice is one of the reasons her books are so popular and you can feel it in The Break. She writes the way she speaks, with several Irish colloquialisms thrown in, and it's natural and also leaves you thinking in an Irish accent when you're finished.

At times I did feel the main character Amy rambled on a bit too much, her feelings could be expressed in fewer words, but I noticed this less as the book went on.

I also felt there were too many characters. Keyes is genius at creating a funny and dynamic supporting cast, but I got confused with a lot of names in this one and thought some of them didn't really bring much to the story.

However, I did really like the relationship between Amy and her daughters and niece, and also the relationship with her husband. It's refreshing to read about a love story about a middle-aged mother. The Break is also a very romantic book, but not in a soppy way. It's very real and looks at love in, and out of, long term relationships.

"There are times when your heart is bursting with love for them and there are spells when you tense up at the sound of them entering the room."

While The Break is not my favourite Marian Keyes book, that would be Rachel's Holiday, I did enjoy it and it was a great read for a rainy September day.

My rating: 3.5/5 (rounded up to 4 stars for Goodreads etc)


I received a copy of The Break via NetGalley in return for an honest review. My thanks to the publisher and author.

Follow Me On Bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment