Friday 27 October 2017

A Pocketful of Crows by Joanne M Harris

Book Review


A Pocketful of Crows by Joanne M Harris - Reading, Writing, Booking

"They call us the Devil's children. But we have no allegiance to your Devil, or your God. We are the travelling folk. We live. And we will live for ever."

A Pocketful of Crows was released in the UK on 19th October 2017. It is written by Joanne M Harris and published by Gollancz.

This is a story that transports you out of modern life's mundanities and into a more timeless reality that focuses on nature and lore. If only for a moment, because A Pocketful of Crows is a small book, but it is all the better for it as the story of the 'brown girl' is not dragged out but perfectly encapsulated in this beautiful book.

BLURB


I am as brown as brown can be,
And my eyes as black as sloe;
I am as brisk as brisk can be,
And wild as forest doe.
(The Child Ballads, 295)
So begins a beautiful tale of love, loss and revenge. Following the seasons, A Pocketful of Crows balances youth and age, wisdom and passion and draws on nature and folklore to weave a stunning modern mythology around a nameless wild girl.
Only love could draw her into the world of named, tamed things. And it seems only revenge will be powerful enough to let her escape.
Beautifully illustrated by Bonnie Helen Hawkins, this is a stunning and original modern fairytale.

I read a lot of Joanne Harris (Joane M Harris for this one apparently) when I was younger and especially loved Chocolate and the mix of the supernatural and real life. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't enjoy A Pocketful of Crows though as my tastes have changed over the years (I seem to need a few more juicy murders now) and I was worried that the fairy tale element might make this book a bit too cute and tedious.

I shouldn't have worried though, Harris knows how to balance the whimsical with the darkness of human nature. A Pocketful of Crows is a lyrical story of one wild girl and her discovery of love and betrayal, but really it's a timeless story about the seasons, time and love. Plus, for all the mythical elements, this book touches on several deeper themes, such as the hypocrisy of religion,  the treatment of women and the power of nature.

The writing style did worry me when I first started reading; the fable-type voice seemed a bit too much to be able to take throughout the entire book, but I actually got used to it and it's the right style for this story, which is based on The Child Ballads, 295, which I'm now going to have to hunt out and read.

A Pocketful of Crows is a refreshing read, something different among the light romances or twisty thrillers that saturate the charts (not to mention celebrity autobiographies, don't get me started). I read this as the seasons changed from summer to autumn and it seemed the perfect time to soak up this story that celebrates nature and the turn of time.

My Rating: 4 Stars


I received a copy of A Pocketful of Crows via NetGalley in return for an honest review. My thanks to the author and publisher.

Follow me On Bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment