Thursday 7 December 2017

The One That Got Away by Annabel Kantaria

Book Review


The One That Got Away by Annabel Kantaria - Reading, Writing, Booking


"I'm a damaged woman who has knowledge and power."

The One That Got Away was released in the UK on 21st September 2017. It is written by Annabel Kantaria and published by HQ.

I've been in a bit of a thriller slump recently; reading a lot of mysteries that are only OK. Unfortunately, The One That Got Away falls into this category.  A lot of people have been saying how clever it is, and the concept is I suppose, if a little cliche now, but I don't think it stands out amongst other 'clever' thrillers, like The Girl Before and Gone Girl, though it is clearly trying to follow in those footsteps.

BLURB
Everyone has one. An ex you still think about. The one who makes you ask ‘what if’?
Fifteen years have passed since Stella and George last saw each other. But something makes Stella click ‘yes’ to the invite to her school reunion.
There’s still a spark between them, and although their relationship ended badly, they begin an affair.
But once someone gets you back, sometimes they’re never going to let you go again…

The writing let The One That Got Away down, it's told from two different pints of view, but I didn't find either character particularly believable. Their dialogue didn't seem realistic and they were very hard to connect with. The reader doesn't have to like the lead characters but it helps if there is some aspect of their personalities to connect with, and I just didn't feel this for either Stella or George.

I also didn't feel any chemistry between them, even though they are supposed to be unable to resist each other. I would have also liked to have known a little bit more about when they were younger, to give some background. It's said that they were inseparable, but I never really felt or saw it.

At first I have to admit I was intrigued by The One That Got Away and the storyline is twisty, but once I'd figured out what was going on, quite early, it actually became a bit boring, with the reveal seeming obvious yet taking its time in occurring. It's very disjointed and had no hook.

The One That Got Away is what I think of as a 'light' thriller. I think some people may like it, especially those looking for a holiday read, but it just didn't do it for me.

My Rating: 2 Stars


I received a review copy of The One That Got Away from the publisher in return for an honest review. My thanks to the author and HQ publishing.

The One That Got Away by Annabel Kantaria - Reading, Writing, Booking

Follow Me On Bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment