Tuesday 13 February 2018

The Wicked Cometh by Laura Carlin

Book Review


The Wicked Cometh by Laura Carlin - Reading, Writing, Booking


"How simple life might be if we could shape time to our need, but instead its silent footsteps walk on, leaving me in their wake."

The Wicked Cometh was published in the UK on 1st February 2018. It is written by Laura Carlin and published by Hodder & Stoughton.

Oh dear, I am behind on my NetGalley reviews. I meant to get The Wicked Cometh, and a number of others, posted before their publication dates, but due to Christmas, holiday and then illness I've fallen spectacularly behind. Expect a number of belated reviews over the next couple of weeks.

And I'm aware I haven't done a monthly favourites for ages either, maybe I'll manage February.

Anyway, onto the review. I must say that the title drew me to this book and I was hoping for a dark Victorian drama. I did get this, but it was a lot slower and jumbled than I'd hoped, and I must admit the wicked took along time in comething.



BLURB


Down the murky alleyways of London, acts of unspeakable wickedness are taking place and the city's vulnerable poor are disappearing from the streets. Out of these shadows comes Hester White, a bright young woman who is desperate to escape the slums by any means possible.
When Hester is thrust into the world of the aristocratic Brock family, she leaps at the chance to improve her station in life under the tutelage of the fiercely intelligent and mysterious Rebekah Brock.
But whispers from her past slowly begin to poison her new life and both she and Rebekah are lured into the most sinister of investigations, dragging them into the blackest heart of a city where something more depraved than either of them could ever imagine is lurking. . .

I like Hester, I think it's hard not too, she's an educated woman trying to survive at any price in the slums of London. I did however, find her a little over explained at times; I could catch her feelings and emotions from the text, but then the author would seem to explain it as well, just to make sure. This was unnecessary and made it feel a bit less realistic.

I also really liked the character of Rebekah who I actually found more intriguing than Hester. I think Carlin comes up with some strong and complex female characters. The male characters are good as well, although slightly less well-rounded.

The pace of The Wicked Cometh threw me a little. It falls into the trap of being very slow nearly all of the way through and then hurrying into an ending and falling over itself to try and explain everything in time.

The slowness does allow for character development and a growing tension, but I did find myself losing interest after a while. I'm glad I read on though, as I did like the ending (though it was a little too good to be true) and I liked how Carlin weaved all the aspects of the story together, though it was a little rushed.

The Wicked Cometh is a good, dark winter's tale and one that I did enjoy, but I could have done with a bit more pacing.

My Rating: 3 Stars


I received a copy of The Wicked Cometh, via NetGalley, in return for an honest review. My thanks to the author and publisher.

Follow Me On Bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment